Tuesday 2 December 2014

Interviews

I took these interviews from my relatives in Pune. I had two basic questions. How do they celebrate the  wedding and what is the sequence?

MEGHNA APTE MUDKAVI
"The wedding season here is mostly in december and the weddings happen during the day. We call the wedding 'Lagna' here. I'll talk about how we celebrated my marriage and the sequence of it. So basically,the wedding began with a Ganpati Puja. Me and my husband had a love marriage,so everything we planned was decided by us and we kept it simple. The wedding cards were printed after our engagement,that we refer to as the Sakhar puda,which tied us officially together. We went for a kuldevi Puja thereafter. We then had the Kelvan,Halad Chadavane,Seeman Pujan before the wedding day.
After these ceremonies that we had together,me and my husband were not allowed to see each other until the wedding day. then we had the Antarpat,Sankalp and Kanyadan. After which we officially were declared Man and Wife. I wore a blue-Green Sari and my husband had a similar sherwani. I wore minimal jewellery and of course we both had the Mundavalya,a string of pearls on our head.
The entire family comes together for the wedding,but it is also very simple and is more of quality family time with real fun and no unnecessary wastage of either money or food."



ABHIRAJ PURANDARE 

"As you have told me that you've mentioned mostly everything on your blog and I read it and realised that you've covered most aspects,I'll tell you some things that are different from north Indian weddings and how they happened in mine.
Beyond the engagement,seeman pujan,kelvan, we have no ceremony for the mehendi as such,though the bride does get some henna patterns on her hands made prior to the wedding. A major event in the Maharashtrian wedding ceremony is the Seema-Anta Poojan. Seema means “City Limits” Anta means end and ‘poojan’ stands for prayers. In olden days, the groom usually lived in a different city from that of the bride’s. He and his family travelled to the bride’s city for the occasion. The bride’s family went to the city limits to welcome this procession. A coconut is broken and sweets were distributed among the wedding guests. This tradition is still carried out today, though one does not go as far as hosting it at the city limits, but in regular banquet/marriage halls instead.The mangalsutra that the bride wears is also very traditional. There are golden and black beads along with two inverted tiny gold cup like pendants in the centre of the mangalsutra. The sarre that bride wears is a silk sarre called Paithan. Or ofcourse then there is the Navari,which is a 9 yard sarre.She wears a nath in her nose and a simple gold neclace,bajuband and earrings along with green bangle chuda. The groom usually wears a kurti or sherwani with a dhoti.I wore a white sherwani and dhoti while my wife wore a yellow and green paithan. All through the ceremony, there are various symbolic and meaningful events held.  There is one ‘fun event’ where the bride’s brother playfully twists the groom’s ear, saying he will repent if he does not take care of his sister. The groom has to then promise to do so and only then is he relieved of the pain! I'm telling you that hurt my ear!! I sat on an elephant and came to the venue and wore a white sherwani. That is basically how we celebrate the wedding and the proceedings. "



No comments:

Post a Comment